Monday, September 23, 2013

Moses Kumar: "It truly is all about the connection"

One thing that drew me to the United Methodist Church is the idea of the United Methodist connection.  Christians of all denominations know that it is the connection that God the Father had with Jesus that consequently benefitted us.  It is this supreme connection with our Heavenly Father that provides the grace and salvation we experience every single day. This amazing connection is the strength of our denomination and why I am proud to be a United Methodist lay person. 

I was raised in the Lutheran church and met and married a woman devoted to the Methodist church who is currently a United Methodist pastor. When I committed my life to Jesus Christ during college while working with World Vision International, I vowed to use the gifts and graces God had bestowed on me to serve His church.  It was while doing this work that I truly felt my call to serving God in administration.  From that time to the present day, I have developed a sense of purpose and gratitude for being able to do this kind of work. I rejoice in committing my service to helping the Church lead people to Christ.  This call enables me to be creative and innovative in making changes for the Church, and ultimately provides the much needed services for all of us to be in ministry to God’s people. Without a doubt, this is my passion!

1 Corinthians 3:9a tells us that we are all coworkers in God’s service. I believe that the United Methodist connection exemplifies this scripture in that we all have various gifts and talents and together we glorify God and impact the lives of God’s people.   

United Methodists may not always agree on the best way solve the problems of this world.  But what we do all agree on is that we can do greater work together as one body than we can do by ourselves, separately.  We are committed to the connection.  I have much gratitude to my United Methodist brothers and sisters as we work together to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.

I will close with this scripture: Romans 12:4-5. “For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.”  We are united in the body of Christ and I have great joy in working with each of you in this ministry. 



Moses Kumar is the General Secretary of the General Council on Finance and Administration of The United Methodist Church