Monday, April 15, 2013

Marc Brown: Why I choose UMC

I remember the first time I witnessed an infant being baptized and the first time I received the Lord’s Supper even though I was not a member of The United Methodist Church. Infants were not baptized in the denomination in which I was raised and it was understood that church membership was required to receive the bread and the cup. When I saw the infant receiving the sacrament of baptism and when I was welcomed to the sacramental table of the Eucharist, I began a new journey in understanding how God’s inviting love is proclaimed. In time, I joined that congregation because I knew I had been welcomed by the love of God that was beyond my understanding.

As a follower of Jesus, I still choose to be a member of The United Methodist Church because I want my life to be connected to the story of God’s inviting love that is still beyond my understanding. I want the story of my life to be witness to the claiming grace of God where people are baptized and invited to the Lord’s Table so they may join in the journey of following Jesus.


The Rev. Marc Brown is an elder in the Virginia Conference who is currently appointed as the conference’s Director of Connectional Ministries.  Prior appointments have included serving as pastor of small, medium, and large churches as well as service as a district superintendent.